Accessibility for People with Disabilities
At The Credit Valley Hospital we are committed to providing respectful care that focuses on the unique needs of the individual. Providing equitable care that respects the dignity and independence of people with disabilities is a priority for the hospital.
Effective January 1, 2010, the hospital was required to comply with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, Customer Service Standard (click to see policy). The standard is part of new legislation that will create a barrier-free Ontario for people with disabilities. The hospital is committed to fulfilling the requirements of the Act and providing patient and family centred care to people with disabilities.
All existing employees, new hires and volunteers receive training on providing care to individuals with disabilities. In addition, a number of resources are available to assist. If you are a person with a disability, please consider the following:
- We will work with you to communicate in a way that takes into account your disability. Please help us identify the most effective way to communicate.
- If you need an American Sign Language (ASL) Interpreter please let us know as early as possible so that we can make the necessary arrangements.
- Service animals and support persons are welcome at Credit Valley. We will accommodate and try to ensure that the surroundings will allow you to maintain your relationship with the service animal/support person unless it becomes a health/safety risk. In this instance, we will work with you to identify a mutually agreed upon location for the animal and other provisions will be made to ensure that you receive the support needed.
- If you are hard of hearing, pocket talkers are available to amplify conversations. Please let the hospital staff know that you require a pocket talker.
- If you are in need of a TTY phone, TTY Bell pay phones are available at the main entrance, cancer centre entrance and rehabilitation waiting area.
- Communication can be increasingly difficult if English is not your first language. Please let hospital staff know if you require an interpreter. Phone interpretation service is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- If you have any accommodation needs including mobility restrictions, please advise hospital staff. We will do our best to accommodate and provide care that takes into account your disability.
The Credit Valley Hospital recently asked three individuals with disabilities to comment on their disability and how we can work together to eliminate barriers:
Get the Flash Player to see this player.
Respecting People with Disabilities videos are also available on CVH YouTube channel:
The Credit Valley Hospital
Annual Accessibility Plan
September 2008-September 2009
If you would like more information, have general inquiries about accessibility planning or the legislation please contact:
Accessibility / Diversity Coordinator
The Credit Valley Hospital and Trillium Health Centre
2200 Eglinton Avenue West
905-813-1100 ext. 5056
For Patient, Family and Visitor feedback and concerns, see Patient Feedback page.